Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carnival in Cologne (Germany) / Kölner Karneval

Diesmal gibt es meinen Blog nur in Englisch, denn Ihr in Deutschland wißt ja sowieso schon über die jecken Kölsche und ihrer "fünften Jahrezeit" bescheid.

This time my blog is in English only. Any German speaker probably already knows about the weird people of Cologne and their famous "fifth season" of the year.


Of course I am talking about the Kölner Karneval (Cologne Carnival). But don't take just my word for it, as you can see on the picture above (I'm the one on the right) I am slightly biased. Here is an interesting article about the subject from the venerable New York Times
...

...
At Mardi Gras time of the year, I always am just a tad Homesick. - As they say in Cologne "Kölle Alaaf!" (That is the Cologne Carnival battle cry)
...
...
It is lots of fun for the young and old alike. The people on the floats throw flowers, chocolates and candy to the bystanders.
...


All pictures are ©2004 by HD Honscheid (that's me!)



No comments: